Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Beginning of the End


of diapers that is...or so I hope. Today we started potty training. My plan was to wait until Walker was two and a half before I even started but a couple of days ago things changed. Monday I was putting sheets on his bed and I turned around to find him standing in the hall holding a toy four-wheeler and the four wheeler had, ahem, "muddy" tires. Like REALLY "muddy" tires. His exact words were,"Mom my poor(four) wheeler got mud on it!". Thing is we had been inside all morning so the only way Walker could find mud was to make it himself. So that's precisely what he did. The boy is smart I tell ya. In the middle of the playroom floor stood(I say stood because it's possible it had legs, hair and a heart beat) a big pile of mud aka poop. Unfortunately for him I was not quite as excited about the "mud" as he was. It took me a good hour to clean him, the floor and the carpet. An hour that I will never have back. The four wheeler was thrown in the garbage and after I regained my composure I called Nonnie to tell her what had happened. Nonnie informed that it was time to start potty training him. Not what I wanted to hear! I was really hoping that one day he would wake up, look at me and say, "Mommy today is the day that I start wearing big boy underwear!" and that would be it. And that could have eventually happend. It may have been on his tenth birthday but I was willing to wait. So I have taken my mother's advice(shocker I know) and I went to Wal Mart yesterday and purchased everything necessary to convert our guest bathroom into potty training central and today I showed him the ropes.

If he potties when I ask him to he gets M&Ms.

If he comes to me and says, "I need to potty" he gets a toy.

If he does number 2 he gets a toy.
If you could have seen his eyes light up when I pulled out that basket of toys for the first time!!! It was the same look his daddy had on his face the first time he walked into Bass Pro Shop. Complete and utter amazement!

Now he has been using the potty before bath time for several months now and isn't afraid of the potty. He just hasn't started telling me he has to go. I am hoping this goes well. I am not going to stress out about. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. But for the sake of my sanity I hope it does because I don't think I can clean up anymore "mud"!

1 comment:

winstead family said...

OH MY GOSH! I would have just about thrown UP! i don't see how you were able to handle it!! :)
when cole was 2 and a half he was the easiest EVER to potty train. only because the sight and smell of his "mud" made him throw up. it only took one accident and he was trained..but that was an accident i'll never forget. (i had to clean up "mud" and pizza with red koolaid..)
hope it goes well for you.